Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My blog, that is, MY blog

As I was trying to drift off to sleep last night, I realized that my blog isn't going to be something the whole world will follow, with or without anticipation. And that's ok. It's really just meant for me to record my thoughts, and questions, and doubts. I'm not a professional writer so this is going to sound very rambling.

As for my thoughts, for example, I really, really want a fireplace in my log house, but I know that fireplaces aren't the most efficient heaters. And lately I've been considering a wood burning cook stove (instead of the propane gas one I was planning on getting), but I can't say yes or no on that until I decide
where I'm going to retire to. If I say yes, I'd need access to wood for all my cooking. And if I retire where the winters are really cold, I'd need even more wood. It boils down to location, location, location. So that's what I'm going to write about this time.

I have had more than enough of the long hot San Antonio summers. But since my son and grandson are here I don't want to go too far away. The rest of my family are in New Jersey, southern Alabama and the Florida panhandle. I grew up in Alabama and I miss the pine trees so much. I have looked at real estate websites for several areas: in Texas, west of US Hwy 281 from Blanco to Lampasas; the area north of IH10 between Luling and Columbus; East Texas counties from Cherokee, Smith, Wood, and Hopkins east to the Louisiana border, and in Alabama, the area west of IH 65 from Evergreen to Birmingham east to the Mississippi border. Over the past month or two I found 10-12 properties throughout those areas that looked great, but since I'm not in the position to purchase anything right now, all I can do is look. And that's frustrating, especially when I haven't been able to make up my mind which area to focus on. So, in the last couple days I made that decision and have narrowed the search area down to the counties in the piney woods of East Texas. I want the trees, plus if I can get enough acreage I can harvest some of it for my own use and try to replant and/or nourish the new growth. I'm sure I would need at least 8-10 acres of heavy woods to do this, and still have to purchase some cut wood. Oh what a relief it is to have that question settled! Oh wait, fireplace, propane stove or wood burning?????

3 comments:

  1. I'm back online and trying to get caught up. :) Isn't a blog the best place to record your thoughts on things like this? Sounds like you're working through some preliminary decisions very well. I love southeast Texas; those piney woods are lovely. I know you'll figure out the rest one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live outside of Tyler in smith co...I think you would like it here...beautiful green fields in summer...lots of woods and lakes

    ReplyDelete