Friday, January 19, 2018

Still Waiting to Close

I am still waiting to close on my little homestead.  I haven't heard from the title company nor the real estate agent, and I'm trying really hard to be patient.  While I'm waiting though, I figured I could go ahead and do some soil testing.  I plan to drive up to see the property this weekend and get some soil samples.  I'll use part of the sample on a soil testing kit that I can get at my local garden center.  The remainder of the sample I'll send off to the county extension office for them to run tests.  I can then compare the results.


Texas soils range from acidic in southeast Texas to neutral or slightly acidic in East Texas and to alkaline in Central and West Texas.  Since Moody Girl Farm will be in Central Texas I know what pH I'm getting, but I don't know what condition the minerals are in.  The soil tests will help me with that.  The property has been vacant for several years and I haven't seen anything that looks like a garden bed.  As I mentioned last post, I expect the house to take up a lot of my time getting it move-in ready, but I also want to begin preparing one or two areas for possibly planting a fall or winter garden.  Due to the layout of the property - location of the house, trees, driveway, and future chicken pens - I'm obliged to have several small/medium garden beds rather than one large one, which is ok with me since I'll probably be using a crop rotation plan up there like I've done here in town.

I have a friend who is riding up with me - I told him I was going stir crazy here just waiting and waiting and waiting.  In the meantime, never surrender, never give up, and may all your dreams come true.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't get to drive up to see the property last week, I caught the flu and was home sick all week. I'm hoping to drive up there next week.

    ReplyDelete