Saturday, August 10, 2019

Lots of Space



In my original Master Plan/Goals I stated that I wanted 2-3 acres so I could have several large gardens, chickens, bees, and maybe goats.  However, Moody Girl Farm sits on just under one acre of land.  Because of this I've scratched goats from my plan.  There wouldn't be enough 'pasture' area for them to graze, and I wouldn't be able to grow enough forage for them to eat on my remaining land, and constantly buying feed for them wouldn't fit into my budget.  So, as much as I wanted goats, I'm ok not having them. 

I've tried to download aerial photos of my property from Google Maps to help me determine where the gardens will go, but their images are not very clear.  When I 'walk' the property, I have trouble 'seeing' the layout, mostly because not all of my property is cleared of brush yet.  When I hire the yard man each month, I always ask him to cut just a little bit further into the brushy area, and he does.  The last cutting really made a difference.
BEFORE:  Notice all the brush/weeds growing under the mesquite trees on the left of the house.

AFTER:  Brush is gone!



It really opens up the area.
With the brush cleared from around the mesquite tree, and the dead branches removed, I see that I have a lot of space for my garden.  This area is at the highest point on my property so it will drain well.  Or at least as well as clay soil can drain.  I think I see raised beds in my future.

The next highest ground is back behind the house around those trees.  That's where I'm thinking the chicken coop/run/paddocks will go, eventually.


June 3, 2019


My yard man trimmed back those mesquite trees, too.  There's not a lot of shade until later in the afternoon now, so I'll have to figure out some kind of shade-cloth canopy for the chicks.  Also notice that the 'grass' has turned brown.  The summers are hot here, with temps in the upper 90s and low 100s  typical.  And it's dry.  Keeping my animals cool and something green under foot will be a priority.

July 27, 2019
In the meantime, I'm planning another visit and I'll be looking at the soil where my gardens will go.  I'll dig a few holes to see what's below the surface, to see if there's any 'life' there.  And it's probably time to send off a sample to my county extension agent to have it tested.  Until then, never give up, never surrender, and may all your dreams come true.
 

1 comment: