Sunday, October 6, 2019

Repairing the Water Line

I drove up to Moody Girl Farm last week to get started on repairing the broken water line.   My handy man had gotten the trench dug when I visited two weeks ago, so all I would have to do this trip was push the PVC pipe into the trench and then repair the main break.  Or so I thought.

 
 
The trench revealed the old water-line pipes.  The light color pipe is PVC, the lower darker pipe is metal and probably the original from the 1940's.  I wanted my water line to go beneath the two pipes, but digging here is like trying to break up concrete. 
 
 
I brought a 3/4 inch slip x slip union with me.  So then I cut the PVC, pushed it under the first pipe (PVC) and used the slip union to put it back together.  I admit I watched a couple you-tube videos and actually took notes.  I left the foam insulation around the pipe although I'm not sure how much help it will be.
 
 
 
The next part of the repair that I'll do this next weekend will be reconnecting the PVC to the metal waterline where it broke from.  I'll take extra PVC pipe with me since the old one is now a wee bit short.  I'll need to cut off that connector on the metal pipe that comes from the meter at the street to the house, I'll cut it an inch or so away from the connector.  My son has a Sawzall that he'll loan me for this.  I'll get him to show me how it works, get the 'safety' instructions, and probably borrow a pair of leather gloves.  Once the old connector is cut off, I can sand the end so the new connector will have a good bond. 
 
The folks at the Water Department will be on stand-by, ready to come turn the water on once all the work is complete.  I'll be standing right next to my repaired lines, hoping they hold!  And I'll try to remember to take more photo this time. 
 
 
In the meantime, I haven't given up, I haven't surrendered, I'm just here waiting for my next adventure.
 







No comments:

Post a Comment