Thursday, June 9, 2016

Ladies and Gentlemen, Start Your Seeds!

The thought of finally starting my seeds was intoxicating.  The more I thought about it, the more excited I got, and the faster reason went out the window.  I started all of my seeds at the same time.....the tomatoes with a 6-8 day germination time, the cucumbers with a 4-6 day germination time, and lettuce, needing only 2-3 days to germinate.

I used a 72-cell tray and had grow lights overhead.  I suppose it was fortunate that not all of the seeds germinated.  My Rutgers and Burbank tomatoes (both determinates) sprouted, as did the cucumbers and kale.  A few of the lettuces sprouted, but had keeled over within 3 days.  Suffice to say I will be starting more seeds in the next weeks.  Most of my seed packets have germination times on them, but not all do.  For those that don't, I should have researched.  I've made a list of the seeds I need to re-start, and each one's time-to-germinate.  When I start them I'll do it based on longest to shortest. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
Please note I'm not complaining since I didn't have the beds ready for them to go into anyway.  My front yard gets lots of sun needed for a veggie garden so that's where I'm putting them.  I have a beautiful Mexican Olive tree in a small bed on one side of the yard and decided to extend that bed all the way across the yard to the driveway.


 
 
 
 
I used my weed-eater to outline the beds, then went over the entire area with it cutting the grass down to the nubs.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Next, I laid down kraft paper to block the grass and prevent it from growing back, then set the edging stones around it.

I bought the edging stones from a Craigslist ad and got the flagstone from a friend who had them leftover from a project he did.  The beds are 9'x7' and 9'x9' interior dimensions.  I have wooden stakes that I'll paint to match the house; they'll support the chicken wire fence I'll need to put up to keep my kitties out. 

 
 
Next post hopefully will have seedlings in the bed.

Till then, never give up, never surrender, and may all your dreams come true.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment