Tuesday, June 14, 2016


Start Your Seeds, Part Deux

Yes, I'm starting seeds again.  As I mentioned in my previous post, I had started all my seeds at the same time, and fortunately not all of them germinated.  Nine tomatoes and two cucumbers sprouted and have been installed in their new bed, along with several nasturtiums.  There are five little kale plants in pots just inside the fence waiting for the 'leafy' bed to be prepared.

I had tons of interruptions/distractions right after I cleared the grass and laid the paper and edging blocks down.  And during that time we had several hail storms and lots of rain.  The hail tore holes in the paper and the rain spurred the grass to grow ferociously.  As a result I had to completely redo both beds.  Yeah, move the edging stones, pull up the remaining shredded paper, weed-eat the grass down to the nubs again, and lay new paper and replace the stones.  It took me all day to repair the one bed due to the heat and humidity, but it's done, and lookin' good! 
 

The 'leafy' bed is ready for soil, and only took a half-day to repair.  Of course, there is a specific order for the next steps for this bed: soil goes in, seedlings transplanted, then fencing goes up - all on the same day.  If I put the soil in now I'd need to put the fencing up or my kitties will think I have just built them the most wonderful litter box ever.  But with the fence already up I'd end up stepping in the new soil and compacting it when it came time to plant the seedling; so I'll wait for the seedlings to be ready before moving forward on this bed.  I'm thinking about two weeks from now.  I've started iceberg lettuce, red romaine, and more kale for this bed.  I also started some rosemary, basil, and cilantro, and poblano peppers, bell peppers, chicory, and birdhouse gourds.  I'll put the peppers in with the tomatoes when they're ready to transplant and the rest will go in the leafy bed.
 
 
UPDATE:  Kale sprouting!  Just a few days after I wrote this post and before I could get it posted, some of the kale seeds have sprouted!  Nature is amazing!
I'm going shopping for tomato cages and trellises today. Should be fun!
 
Until next time, never give up, never surrender, and may all your dreams come true.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment