Friday, May 11, 2018

Town Garden May 11, 2018

I've gotten started on my veggie garden here in town.  I began my seeds around the 21st of March, and started more on April 3rd and April 11th.  I was able to get the seedlings in the beds over the last two weeks, working a few hours every 4-5 days.  I planted the last of them today.

This is the sketch of my proposed garden I included in my "2018 Town Garden" post on January 27.  The actual beds are slightly different.  And I've already harvested the radishes, all five of them. 


Bed #1 has two cucumber plants as planned.  However, one of last year's cotton plants began to leaf out before I could pull them all out, so I left it in place.  Plus, the onions I put in here last year have multiplied, and there are several vines growing that I thought was a volunteer sweet potato, but it's not.
 

Bed #2 has three rows of corn, a couple bell peppers, carrots and more onions, plus lots of nasturtiums and marigolds.  The bell peppers are in the lower right corner, where I already harvested the radishes.

Bed #3 has three lima bean plants beginning to trail up the trellises, plus basil, parsley, oregano, and dill, and nasturtiums and California poppies.  And catnip in the pot.  I didn't do any beans and I probably won't do rutabagas.  This is the bed where the luffahs grew out of control last  year, and the Bermuda grass got its foot in the door, and wouldn't leave!  I've mounded dirt/mulch around each plant so I can just water it, rather than use the sprinkler and water the whole bed which would include the Bermuda grass.

Bed #4 in the back yard has four tomato plants plus marigolds, and one humongous giant sunflower.  A bird must have dropped the seed there, I certainly didn't.  The two tomatoes at the bottom of the photo are cherry tomatoes, and . . . . . they're indeterminates.  I'll have to built a much studier cage for them to grow on, those round ones will never contain them! 
 

That's it for the Town Garden for now. 



No comments:

Post a Comment