Sunday, June 10, 2018

Town Garden Update June 10 2018

My garden here in town has not done very well.  It's been sooooo hot that some of the plants are already bolting!  Last week we had temps around 100-102 degrees, this week it's been in the upper 90s, and next week will be in the mid 90s.  Too hot, too soon!

The lima beans are working their way up the trellises, but the dill (seen in the opening between the trellises) has gone to flower, as has the cilantro and basil (on the left side of the bed).  It's been very difficult to keep the Bermuda grass out of this bed.  I've used scissors to cut it down and then sprayed it carefully with Roundup, but it keeps coming back.



The corn is barely two feet tall but half of them have already grown tassels.  This usually doesn't happen until the plant is 5 or 6 feet tall and it signals the plant to begin making ears of corn.  A couple of the plants with tassels have little 2-3-inch ears growing.  If they don't grow any larger than that, I suppose I can eat them as 'baby corn'.  (That's Orange-Cat and Kirk discussing the garden)


My cucumber vine growing on the tomato cage is looking good, except that there are no cucumbers.  It's made a bunch of flowers, but I think none of them have been pollinated.  I think the reason for that is because I only have the one plant and maybe it needs another separate plant for pollination.  I've started a couple more seeds, but it may be too late, especially with the heat.  (That's Princess)


The tomato bed in the back yard has done a little better. It doesn't get as much sun.  You can hardly see the tomatoes because of the sunflower plant, but it probably helps shade the tomatoes.  I've only started two types of tomatoes - regular slicing tomatoes and cherry tomatoes. (And that's Little Girl's back end)


I have 5 or 6 tomatoes on the two Burbank plants.



These are Blue Berries Cherry Tomatoes https://www.rareseeds.com/blue-berries-tomato/.  They'll have purple-ish skin and will be very sweet.  I've read that fruits and veggies with purple skins are high in anthocyanins which are good for you, so I thought I'd try these.

San Antonio is currently in Stage 1 water restrictions, which means I can only water with a sprinkler once a week (my day is Monday) and only before 11am and after 7pm.  I can hand water anytime, and I do in the evenings.  I didn't expect to have a large garden this year anyway because of the time I expected to be spending at Moody Girl Farm, so being able to hand water what little I've started works out well.

I'll be up at Moody Girl Farm this week and will have photos and a progress report when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment