Thursday, March 30, 2017

Two Down, Two To Go

The Root crop bed is done.


The old sweet potato bed from 2015 was expanded an additional 15 inches to form this bed.  The five leafy plants at this end are my cotton plants, I'll have brown and green cotton.  I believe I'll be harvesting the bolls in September.  Once that's done I can start the cabbage, broccoli, and rutabaga. You can barely see the four onions at the other end.  I got five starts at the Mother Earth News Fair in February and had them in separate pots, but this morning I could only find four...  In front of those four onions are the three little ones I started from seed.  And behind the onions are the carrots and radishes I direct seeded.  I stuck twigs in the soil about an inch from where I put the seeds, so I can know where they are, and not pull them out thinking they're weeds. 

I made seed tapes yesterday for the carrot and radish seeds.  They're really small and I tend to put them too deep in the soil so most of them don't germinate/sprout.  I used a paper towel and Elmer's School Glue - just a light smear on the paper - then I dropped the seeds onto it.  I forgot to get a photo, sorry.  I'll be starting radishes again in 2-3 weeks - I'll make a seed tape and take a photograph then.

The weeds/grass has been pulled from the old tomato bed, it'll be ready for the peppers, cucumbers, okra, etc next week.  I'll put together the new tomato bed next week also.

Until then, never give up, never surrender, and may all your dreams come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment