Friday, April 7, 2017

Four Beds DONE!


The three veggie beds in the front yard are DONE! 


The last bed completed was the new tomato bed and it went together quicker than I thought it would.  I bought 6 -inch wide cedar fence planks to go inside the border blocks because the blocks were too short for all the soil and mulch I needed to put in the bed.  It looks so good that I'm going to retrofit the other two front yard beds with cedar planks.  And I still need to get five more tomato cages, I have seven now.  Next week.

A friend mentioned to me last week that a lady in his neighborhood was setting up a vegetable garden in her front yard a few weeks ago when Code Compliance came by and told her she couldn't do that.  She had already tilled up the soil and was putting the fence around it.  Considering all the time I've spent on my gardens, and the money, I'd hate for this to happen to me.  So I looked at the City Code to see what it says about this, but I couldn't find anything specific.  I did find an article from June 2012 in the Express News that said there was no restriction on where the beds were, as long as the crops didn't obstruct the view for drivers.  I've printed and put the article in my garden notebook so I don't lose it, plus I've bookmarked it to my Favorites so I can find it again.

My next projects are the narrow beds along the front of the house.  Currently I have lots of large, different style/color pots with various plants, bushes, and vines growing in them.  I need to organize this area and make it look as nice as the veggie beds.  It'll be a couple weeks before I can begin this project, until then, never give up, never surrender, and may all your dreams come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment